International Law and Governance
The research group focuses both on international law in its many facets, and the internationalization of national law.
Flags of Member States in front of UN Headquarters. Photo: un.org
About the Group
The research group on International Law and Governance focuses on diverse aspects of international law by viewing international law and politics in a context-specific, timely and up-to-date manner. The purpose is to gather and further develop competence in international law at the University of Oslo, Faculty of Law to understand and address contemporary issues (and challenges) in and to the international legal framework and international governance. Read more..
Methods of Work
The research group studies international law in a multi-level context, including the regional and national level, and the interaction between the different levels. It invites inter-disciplinary approaches. The group aims at providing academics and students with the interest and the intellectual tools needed to participate as responsible members of a world community premised on the notion of human dignity for all People.
Conversations with Leading International Judges
In 2008, Professor Cecilia M. Bailliet launched a series of interviews with leading international judges in order to explore the evolution of international law. You can watch them here:
- Interview with Judge Helen Keller
- Interview with Professor Bruno Simma
- Interview with Judge Thomas Buergenthal
- Interview with Judge Christopher Greenwood
- Interview with Judge Diego García Sayán
- Interview with Judge Cançado Trindade
- Interview with Judge Georges Abi-Saab
- The role of the Inter-American Court of Human Rights: Jurisprudencial advances and new responses
- International Tribunals
- Judicial Dialogues on the Rule of Law
- MultiRights - The Legitimacy of Multi-Level Human Rights Judiciary
- Should States Ratify Human Rights Conventions?
- Yearbook of International Environmental Law
The Treaty Database, a broad collection of multilateral treaties selected from all relevant areas of international law.
Sign up to our mailing-list and stay posted on upcomming events