International Law and Governance
The research group focuses both on international law in its many facets, and the internationalization of national law.
Flags of Member States in front of UN Headquarters. Photo: un.org
Presentation of the research area
The research group "International Law and Governance" focuses on diverse aspects of international law by viewing international law and politics in a context-specific, timely and up-to-date manner. The purpose is to gather and further develop competence in international law at the University of Oslo, Faculty of Law to understand and address contemporary issues (and challenges) in and to the international legal framework and international governance.
Public events within the research group are announced on this website - bottom, right column - and on the Norwegian Centre for Human Rights' English language pages. The research group also contributes to International Law Lunches, Reading Groups, and other events, at PluriCourts.
- Nordic Investment Law Seminar 2017, 21 March 2017
- Lecture on the Protection of the Atmosphere by the Special Rapporteur Shinya Murase, 28 April 2017. His presentation is available here: http://www.jus.uio.no/english/research/areas/intrel/murase-presentation.pdf, with an annex here: http://www.jus.uio.no/english/research/areas/intrel/murase-annex.pdf.
To stay informed about all upcoming events, register for the research group's e-mailing list.
Calls for papers
“The role of the Inter-American Court of Human Rights: Jurisprudencial advances and new responses”, deadline 20 March 2017.
Conversations with leading international judges
In 2008, Professor Cecilia M. Bailliet launched a series of interviews with leading international judges in order to explore the evolution of international law. You can watch them here:
- Interview with Judge Helen Keller
- Interview with Professor Bruno Simma
- Interview with Judge Thomas Buergenthal
- Interview with Judge Christopher Greenwood
- Interview with Judge Diego García Sayán
- Interview with Judge Cançado Trindade
- Interview with Judge Georges Abi-Saab
- International Tribunals
- Judicial Dialogues on the Rule of Law
- MultiRights - The Legitimacy of Multi-Level Human Rights Judiciary
- Should States Ratify Human Rights Conventions?
- Yearbook of International Environmental Law