The overarching concern is why and when an international court (IC) merits criticism and deference of various kinds. Some components under the multidimensional concept of legitimacy are: normative justification, social support, legality, compliance, state consent, as well, as constitutional and public law standards.
The Environment in International Courts and Tribunals – Issues of Legitimacy
Book project edited by Prof. Christina Voigt (CUP, 2018)
The Legitimacy of 'Unseen Actors' in International Adjudication
Book project edited by Freya Baetens (forthcoming, 2018)
- Gender on the International Bench
- Two New Large Research Projects at PluriCourts Nov. 30, 2017 11:16 AM
- Investigation into the Situation of Afghanistan Nov. 30, 2017 11:15 AM
- The Universality of Human Rights Nov. 30, 2017 9:19 AM
- PluriCourts at ECPR Oslo Sep. 4, 2017 10:00 AM
- Jim Nickel visits PluriCourts Sep. 27, 2015 12:00 AM
- Young, Dunoff and Voeten Visit PluriCourts This Week Sep. 7, 2015 9:21 AM
- Alec Stone Sweet is Visiting PluriCourts Aug. 24, 2015 9:18 AM
- Ulfstein: The ECtHR uses and should use international treaties in its evolutive interpretation June 15, 2015 3:41 PM
- The legacy of Rolv Ryssdal: Presentations from the seminar Dec. 5, 2014 2:28 PM
- Long-term future of the European Court of Human Rights: Proceedings are online May 9, 2014 11:44 AM
Transparency, Investment Protection and the Role of the European Parliament
Article published by Szilárd Gáspár-Szilágyi in the European Investment Law and Arbitration Review, vol.2 (2017)
Democracy and Regional Human Rights Courts: Enemies, Allies, or Both?
PluriCourts Director Andreas Føllesdal edited a panel of papers included in the International Journal of Constitutional Law, Vol 15, Issue 2, April 2017. Access the panel papers.
- Gender on the International Bench Jan. 11, 2018 12:00 AM
- Geography and Expertise on the International Bench May 17, 2018 9:00 AM
- The Political and Legal Theory of International Courts and Tribunals June 18, 2018 12:00 AM
- Responding to Legitimacy Challenges: Opportunities and Choices for the European Court of Human Rights Sep. 21, 2018 12:00 AM