Bård Anders Andreassen
Born 1955. Dr. Polit, Dipl. ICLHR. PhD Department of Political Science, University of Oslo. Diploma of International and Comparative Law of Human Rights, International Institute of Human Rights, Strasbourg. Cand. Polit Degree (Honours) in Comparative Politics, University of Bergen. Professor II (in Human Rights) at the Buskerud University college. Editor of The Nordic Journal of Human Rights.
Teaching and tutoring
- Development, poverty and human rights
- Political regimes, governance and human rights
- Nutrition and the right to food
- Truth commissions and reconciliation
- Development theory and human rights-based development
- Human rights and democratisation in ethnically divided societies (Kenya)
- Transitional justice (Africa)
Ongoing and planned research projects at Norwegian centre for human rights
- Human rights and poverty alleviation
- Rights, power and civic action (3 year project, 2008-2010)
- Human rights – methodological issues
- Poverty and human rights – economic perspectives
Political scientist with more than 20 years of experience from research and policy analysis in sub-Sahara Africa and South East Asia. Thematically his work has focussed on issues of democratisation and human rights, particularly related to ethnic diversity, constitutional change and the conduct of multi-party elections in sub-Saharan Africa; transitional justice with an emphasis of the choice of TJ strategies and their effectiveness, development aid and the effectiveness aid with a particular focus on governance (political power and institutions), human rights and indicators of assessment. Numerous consultancies for NORAD, the World Bank, the European Union and development NGOs. Election observer in Zambia, Ethiopia and Kenya.
- 2006: Editor with Stephen P. Marks. Development as a Human Right. Legal, Political and Economic Dimensions. Harvard University Press/FXB Centre for Health and Human Rights, 2006.
- 2006. with Stephen P. Marks (eds.). “Introduction” in Andreassen and Marks, eds. (above).
- 2006. “Development and the Human Rights Responsibilities of Non-State Actors” in Andreassen and Marks, eds. (above).
- 2006. “The Human Rights and Development Nexus: From Rights Talk to Rights Practices” in Dan Banik (ed). Poverty, Politics and Development: Interdisciplinary Perspectives. Oslo: Fagbokforlaget.
- 2007. “Political science, human rights and the right to food discourse” in Wenche Barth Eide & Uwe Kracht (eds.). Food and human rights in development. Vol II, Antwerpen: Intersentia 2007.
- 2007. “What’s the Goal? What’s the Purpose? Observations on Human Rights Impact Assessment” with Hans-Otto Sano in International Journal of Human Rights, Vol 11, No 3, 2007.
- 2007. “Poverty, Human Rights and Justice Sector Reform Uganda and Kenya”, Casting the Net Wider: Human Rights, Development and New Duty-Bearers, edited by Margot Salomon, Arne Tostensen and Wouter Vandenhole, Antwerpen: Intersentia, 2007.
- 2008. “United Nations Charter and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights” to be in published in Oxford Encyclopedia of Human Rights (2008).
- 2008. “The Right to Development and Legal Empowerment of the Poor”, in Bangladesh Journal of Development (2008)