Fritt Ord Student Stipend
For those working on an MA thesis on human rights, the right to free speech and/or democracy
A maximum of five student scholarships of max NOK 60 000,- are available. The application deadline is October 13th, 2017.
You are eligible to apply if you plan your MA thesis* / juridisk spesialoppgave or an equivalent project on the topic of human rights, the right to free speech and/or democracy as a student in one of these institutions:
- The Norwegian Centre for Human Rights, University of Oslo
- The Faculties of Law, Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Oslo
- The Faculty of Law and Department of Comparative Politics, University of Bergen
- Department of Sociology and Political Science, Norwegian University of Science and Technology
The application must contain these elements, and these only:
- A brief application / letter of interest
- A project proposal of no more than 1200 words. The project proposal must contain a working title describing the topic of the planned thesis and a clear and specific description of the research question and method/theory. Does the project proposal include plans that entail extra expenses for the student, such as field work? If so, it must be explained why these plans are necessary for answering the research question and their cost outlined in a small budget.
- A short reference to relevant research literature.
- A reference to the department / centre in which you would like to work on your project.
- A description of any other support (scholarships and similar) you may have received for the project.
Scanned copies of relevant certificates and transcripts of records may be attached, if considered relevant. A supervisor’s recommendation may count positively. Originals must be produced on demand. We kindly ask for any enclosure to be attached in the pdf format.
October 13th, 2017
Further on the scholarships
- The scholarships are financed by Fritt Ord, and it is a condition for this announcement that Fritt Ord approve the grants.
- Interviews with applicants may be held.
- The evaluation committee may decide to share a scholarship between two applicants, so that each will be granted NOK 30 000,-.
- Each applicant will receive an answer in writing after the members of the evaluation committee have completed their work.
- Documents submitted with the application will not be returned.
- Scholarship recipients may be offered desk space and potentially also research supervision in 2018, depending on available space and resources. The scholarships will be offered on the condition that such an offer is accepted.
*Please note that by ‘MA thesis’ is meant in this context a written work of research, amounting to 30 or more study points. The thesis must be produced within an MA programme of 120 or more study points.