Tove Stang Dahl Memorial Seminar
Women’s human rights and culture: challenges for international law
In 2013 it is 20 years since Tove Stang Dahl, one of the international pioneers in the field of women’s law and children’s law, died.
This year the Tove Stang Dahl Memorial Seminar focuses on the relationship between women’s human rights and culture in international and national law.
Recent initiatives from the UN Special Rapporteur on the Right to Culture, the UN Working group on elimination of laws that discriminate against women will be discussed in the light of national legal developments and the work of non-governmental organizations in different parts of the world.
13.00 - 13.15: Welcome by Professor Anne Hellum, Department of Women’s Law, Children’s Law, Equality and Discrimination Law, University of Oslo
13.15 - 13.45: Farida Shaheed, UN Special rapporteur in the field of cultural rights
- “Shifting the Paradigm from culture as obstacle to women's human rights to demanding women's equal cultural rights”
13.45 - 14.15: Professor Frances Raday, member of the United Nations Working Group on Laws that Discriminate against Women (WG)
- “Public and Political Life - Cultural Barriers to Equality”
14.15 - 14.45: Questions and discussion
14.45 - 15.00: Coffee and refreshments
15.00 - 15.30: Professor Karima Bennoune, University of California, Davis, School of Law
- “Struggles between and struggles within: Women's demands for universal human rights in Muslim majority contexts”
15.30 - 16.00: Professor Rikki Holtmaat, Leiden University
- “Equality and Autonomy: Law's Failure to Support Religious Minority Women's Struggle to Transform their Religious Practices from Within”
16.00 - 16-30: Questions and discussion
16.30 - 16.45: Coffee and refreshments
16.45 - 18.00: Intellectual Fireworks for Anne Hellum on account of her 60th birthday
- Colleagues and friends from Academia will highlight Anne's unique contribution to Women's rights through a series of festive intellectual crackers.
18.30: Reception for all speakers and participants at St. Olavsgate 5, Domus Nova 5th floor, room 571
Registration for the reception by 13 March to Elisabeth Wenger-Hagene at email@example.com