At the Department of Private Law, Lukasz takes part in the research project Judges under Stress JuS - the Breaking Point of Judicial Institutions.
The research team focuses on the following questions: how do rulers seek judicial compliance with authoritarian measures, how do judges react to such measures, and what are the conditions under which an independent judiciary breaks down? While the project refers mainly to the experiences of Central and Eastern European states under communist rule and compares them with other countries, it also touches upon current challenges of similar type in some countries. Within the project Lukasz prepares his PhD thesis on judicial resistance in Poland (both under the communist rule and in the current situation).
Other selected research experiences
Lukasz serves as a Polish expert on the European Network of Legal Experts in the Non-discrimination field (http://www.equalitylaw.eu/country/poland), since 2008.
In 2014-2016 Lukasz was engaged in projects of the European Network of Councils of Judiciary and was coordinator (together with Italian colleague) of the working group that elaborated Minimum Standards VI. Non-judicial Members in Judicial Governance.
Finally, he took part as a researcher, research manager, author of monitoring reports in numerous NGO projects (see list of publications).
Lukasz also served as a Member of the Editorial Board of the „National Council of the Judiciary. Quarterly” (http://krspl.home.pl/pl/kwartalnik-krs), member of the Editorial Board of the „Na wokandzie. Quarterly”, and member of the Scientific Council of “Klinika” law journal.
Lukasz takes active part in the discussions on the judiciary and the legal profession in Poland. Since 2014 he has his monthly column in “Prawnik” (Lawyer), a weekly published as addendum to Dziennik Gazeta Prawna.
Lukasz Bojarski has most of his professional life worked for Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and Think Tanks as lawyer, researcher, trainer and expert. Currently he holds (pro bono) the position of the President of Legal Think Tank INPRIS that he co-founded.
His main fields of interest include: judiciary, legal services, legal profession, legal education and methodology of teaching, non-discrimination, human rights.
Lukasz was the author of the reform proposals on access to legal aid and the legal profession. He is an author of numerous publications and policy papers on the judiciary, access to justice and interactive methods in legal education (see below).
Lukasz is a founding member (2018) of the Justice Defence Committee KOS, the organization grouping judges’ and lawyers’ organizations with civil society initiatives, that was created by legal and civil circles in order to defend the independence of judges and lawyers.
He is also founding member of other initiatives - in 2010 he co-founded Stowarzyszenie im. Prof. Zbigniewa Holdy (Association in memory of prof. Zbigniew Holda), an organization that brings together over a hundred eminent Polish lawyers and judges supporting rule of law and human rights. In 2002 Lukasz co-founded (and in the years 2002-2019 served as a Chairman of the Board) the Polish Legal Clinics Foundation (FUPP) that supports clinical movement at law faculties.
In the years 2010-2015 Lukasz was a member of the National Council of the Judiciary of Poland (appointed by the President of Poland), constitutional body responsible for selecting judges and safeguarding judicial independence.
Lukasz has over 25 years of professional experience in research, consultancy, advocacy, and training in human rights, legal and judicial reform, legal profession, legal aid, legal and law related education; including program and curriculum development and evaluation, training methodology and training for trainers in over 20 countries including: Poland, CEE and CIS countries, countries of Central Asia, Caucasus, Balkans, Mongolia, Jordan, Turkey. Lukasz worked as an expert of different institutions and entities: Council of Europe, European Commission, OSCE/ODIHR, Polish Universities, number of International and National private organizations, i.a.Open Society Institute, Ford Foundation, Freedom House, Polish-American Freedom Foundation, Stefan Batory Foundation.
His research, publications and training focused on, i.a.: judiciary; judiciary communication strategy; communication, interaction, collaboration of courts and judges with NGOs; legal profession and legal ethics; human rights and human rights monitoring; non-discrimination; monitoring of elections and appointments to Constitutional Tribunal and other public posts; fair trial standards and trial observation; access to justice and legal aid; street law; clinical education.
Lukasz provided training, both nationally and internationally for i.a.judges, lawyers, NGO activists, journalists, teachers, students, trainers.
Some other previous positions: member of the Board of Directors of PILnet - The Global Network for Public Interest Law (2008-2016). Employee of the Helsinki Foundation of Human Rights in the years 1998-2010. Member of the Experts Council of the „Citizen and the Law” (Obywatel i Prawo) program of the Polish-American Freedom Foundation (2005-2013), Member of the Committee on the Efficiency of Justice in the Ministry of Justice (2011).
- Bojarski, Lukasz (2019). Krajowa Rada Sądownictwa, I: Tomasz Zalasiński (red.), Jak przywrócić państwo prawa?. Fundacja im. Stefana Batorego. ISBN 978-83-65882-91-2. Chapter. s 68 - 115
- Bojarski, Lukasz (2019). "TO JEST NASZ SĄD". SĄD ROZUMIEJĄCY I ZROZUMIAŁY, I: Krzysztof Grajewski (red.), Konstytucja.Praworzadnosc. Wladza sadownicza. Aktualne problemy trzeciej wladzy w Polsce.. Wolters Kluwer. ISBN 978-83-8160-688-2. Part II Chapter 2. s 197 - 245
- Bojarski, Lukasz; Grajewski, Krzysztof; Kremer, Jan; Ott, Gabriela & Zurek, Waldemar (2019). Konstytucja. Praworządność. Władza sądownicza. Aktualne problemy trzeciej władzy w Polsce. Wolters Kluwer Polska. ISBN 978-83-8160-688-2. 616 s. Show summary
- Bojarski, Lukasz (2021). Rzecznik przed trybunałem [Ombudsman before the tribunal]. Dziennik Gazeta Prawna.. ISSN 2080-6744. (46), s D2- D3 Show summary
- Bojarski, Lukasz (2020). Odwaga fejkowych sedziow [Courage of fake judges]. Dziennik Gazeta Prawna.. ISSN 2080-6744. (229 (5382)), s D3- D3 Show summary
- Bojarski, Lukasz (2020). Takie to święto demokracji [Such celebration of democracy]. Dziennik Gazeta Prawna.. ISSN 2080-6744. (91 (5244)), s D4- D4 Show summary
- Bojarski, Lukasz (2020). Wpuszczeni w strefę nienawiści [Taken into the hate zone]. Dziennik Gazeta Prawna.. ISSN 2080-6744. (125 (5278)), s D2- D3 Show summary