Arjumand Bano Kazmi
- Refugee Law
- Islamic Law
- Human Rights
- International Development
- Democratisation and Civil Society
- Afghan Refugees
As part of the BEYOND project, Dr. Arjumand Bano Kazmi examins the socio-legal and political landscape of Pakistan’s refugee protection regime with a focus on the Pakistan-UNHCR partnership and Afghan refugees’ lived experience.
Kazmi describes her research interests as interdisciplinary at the intersection of politics, law, and development studies.
Kazmi holds a PhD in Law (2018) and an LLM in ‘Law in Development’ (2003) from the University of Warwick. She also studied for a Masters in Political Science from the University of Karachi, Pakistan.
In 2021, Arjumand completed a Postgraduate Award in Interdisciplinary Pedagogy from the Institute of Advance Teaching and Learning, University of Warwick. She is also an Assoicate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, UK.
Until recently, Arjumand was an Assistant Professor at the School of Law, University of Warwick, UK. Here, she taught undergraduate and postgraduate courses including Introduction to Islamic law, Legal Theory, Gender and the Law, Women’s Human Rights and Global Justice, and the LLM Dissertation Research and Writing. Arjumand also taught core undergraduate courses in the Department of Politics and International Studies, University of Warwick.
Whilst at Warwick Law School, Arjumand held a position of Director of Student Experience for postgraduate students (2019-2022).
- Chancellor’s International Research Scholarship, University of Warwick (2013-2017)
- Early Career Fellowship, Institute of Advance Study, University of Warwick (2017-2018)
- Post Doctoral Fellow, Oslo University (present appointment)
- Assistant Professor (teaching focused), University of Warwick (2020 – 2022)
- Teaching Fellow, University of Warwick (2019-2020)
- Associate Tutor, Warwick Law School and the Department of Politics and International Studies, University of Warwick (2017 - 2019)
- Research Assistant (part-time), University of Warwick (2016-2018)
- Head of Policy and Research, Voice4Change England, London (2007 - 2012)
Previously, Arjumand has held research positions in non-governmental organisations (NGOs) in Pakistan and the UK including a national think-tank, Pakistan Institute of Legislative Development and Transparency (PILDAT) where she worked to support members of Pakistan's parliament, political parties and NGO professionals.
Cristin returned 'not found'