Higher education and employment history
Antoinette Scherz is a Postdoctoral Fellow at PluriCourts, University of Oslo. Before joining PluriCourts she was a Research Fellow & Permanent Member of the Board of Directors at the Centre for Advanced Studies “Justitia Amplificata” at the Goethe University Frankfurt and as a Research Fellow at the Swiss National Competence Centre for Excellence in Research “Challenges to Democracy in the 21st Century” at the University of Zurich where she obtained her PhD in Philosophy.
She holds a MA in Philosophy, Social Psychology and International Law in from the University of Zurich and held visiting and guest positions the Center for Human Values at Princeton and McGill.
Antoinette Scherz works at the intersection of political philosophy, international law and international relations theory with focus on legitimacy, democratic theory, the concept of the people, and autonomy. Current research interests include: the legitimacy of international institutions with a focus on international courts, reasons for states to comply, the allocation of authority in multilevel systems and democratic relations between several peoples.
Scherz, Antoinette “Tying Legitimacy to Political Power: Graded Legitimacy Standards for International Institutions.” European Journal of Political Theory, First published online: March 25, 2019, DOI: 10.1177/ 1474885119838137.
Scherz, Antoinette & Zysset, Alain (2020) “The UN Security Council, Normative Legitimacy and the Challenge of Specificity.” Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy 23 (3). First published online: January 14, 2019, DOI: 10.1080/13698230.2019.1565720.
Adams, N.P., Scherz, Antoinette & Schmelzle, Cord (2020). “Legitimacy Beyond the State: Institutional Purposes and Contextual Constraints.” Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy 23 (3) First published online: January 21, 2019, DOI: 10.1080/13698230. 2019.1565710.
Adams, N.P., Antoinette Scherz & Cord Schmelzle (ed.) (2020) “Legitimacy beyond the State: Normative and Conceptual Questions.” Special issue in Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy 23 (3).
Manuscripts in Preparation
Antoinette Scherz is currently working on a monograph entitled Multilateral Democracy and its Institutions: Rethinking Democratic Relations between Peoples and Individuals.
Workshop on the book manuscript: Goethe University Frankfurt, April 29-30, 2019.
Organised Workshops 2019
- PluriCourts Legal and Political Theory Workshop "Multilevel Separation of Authority - Autonomy and International Courts” organised with with Andreas Føllesdal and Martin Westergren, Oslo, June 24-26, 2019.
- Workshop “Should States Do It Alone? New Perspectives on the Legitimacy of Multilateral and Bilateral Power Structures” organised with with Enzo Rossi, Paul Raekstad and Ugur Aytac, University of Amsterdam, June 11-12, 2019.
- Adams, N.P.; Scherz, Antoinette & Schmelzle, Cord (2019). Legitimacy beyond the state: institutional purposes and contextual constraints. Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy. ISSN 1369-8230. s 1- 11 . doi: 10.1080/13698230.2019.1565710
- Scherz, Antoinette (2019). Tying legitimacy to political power: Graded legitimacy standards for international institutions. European Journal of Political Theory. ISSN 1474-8851. s 1- 23 . doi: 10.1177/1474885119838137
- Scherz, Antoinette & Zysset, Alain (2019). The UN Security Council, Normative Legitimacy and the Challenge of Specificity. Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy. ISSN 1369-8230. 23(3) . doi: 10.1080/13698230.2019.1565720 Show summary
- Scherz, Antoinette (2018). Representation in Multilateral Democracy: How to Represent Individuals in the EU While Guaranteeing the Mutual Recognition of Peoples. European Law Journal. ISSN 1351-5993. 23(6), s 495- 508 . doi: 10.1111/eulj.12267 Show summary
- Scherz, Antoinette & Welge, Rebecca (2015). Union Citizenship Revisited: Multilateral Democracy as Normative Standard for European Citizenship. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies. ISSN 1369-183X. 41(8), s 1254- 1275 . doi: 10.1080/1369183X.2014.969202 Show summary
- Scherz, Antoinette (2013). The Legitimacy of the Demos: Who Should Be Included in the Demos and on What Grounds?. Living Reviews in Democracy. ISSN 1663-0165. 4, s 1- 14 Show summary
- Scherz, Antoinette; Adams, N.P. & Schmelzle, Cord (2020). Legitimacy Beyond the State: Institutional Purposes and Contextual Constraints. Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy. ISSN 1369-8230. 23(3)
- Scherz, Antoinette (2019). Does Transnational Voting Increase National Sovereignty or Democracy?. EUI Working Papers, Robert schuman Centre for Advanced Studies. ISSN 1028-3625. 25, s 27- 30 Show summary
- Scherz, Antoinette (2014). Multilateral Democracy as Democratic Federalism beyond the State: Institutional Design in a Multilevel System. NCCR Democracy Working Papers. 78