Higher education and employment history
Antoinette Scherz is a Postdoctoral Fellow at PluriCourts. She has previously been a Research Fellow & Permanent Member of the Board of Directors at the Centre for Advanced Studies: “Justitia Amplificata: Rethinking Justice - Applied and Global” at the Goethe University Frankfurt (2015-2017), a Postdoctoral Research Fellow also with Justitia Amplificata (2014-15) and Research Fellow at the Swiss National Competence Centre for Excellence in Research “Challenges to Democracy in the 21st Century” at the University of Zurich (2009-2014).
She studied philosophy, social psychology and international law in Zurich and Geneva. She received her Ph.D. in Political Philosophy from the University of Zurich in 2014. During her doctorate, she visited McGill University and the Center for Human Values at Princeton University.
Antoinette Scherz works in the field of political philosophy, with special interest in international political theory, legitimacy, democratic theory, the people, and autonomy.
Scherz, Antoinette & Zysset, Alain (2020) “The UN Security Council, Normative Legitimacy and the Challenge of Specificity.” Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy 23 (3).
Adams, N.P., Scherz, Antoinette & Schmelzle, Cord (2020). “Legitimacy Beyond the State: Institutional Purposes and Contextual Constraints.” Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy 23 (3).
Scherz, Antoinette (2019) “Does Transnational Voting Increase National Sovereignty or Democracy?” GOBALCIT Forum Debate: Let me vote in your country, and I’ll let you vote in mine. A proposal for transnational democracy.
Adams, N.P., Antoinette Scherz & Cord Schmelzle (ed.) (2020) “Legitimacy beyond the State: Normative and Conceptual Questions.” Special issue in Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy 23 (3).
Manuscripts in Preparation
Antoinette Scherz is currently working on a monograph entitled Multilateral Democracy and its Institutions: Rethinking Democratic Relations between Peoples and Individuals. Book workshop: Goethe University Frankfurt, April 29-30, 2019.
- Scherz, Antoinette & Zysset, Alain (2020). The UN Security Council, Normative Legitimacy and the Challenge of Specificity. Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy. ISSN 1369-8230. 23(3) . doi: 10.1080/13698230.2019.1565720 Show summary
- Scherz, Antoinette (2018). Representation in Multilateral Democracy: How to Represent Individuals in the EU While Guaranteeing the Mutual Recognition of Peoples. European Law Journal. ISSN 1351-5993. 23(6), s 495- 508 . doi: 10.1111/eulj.12267 Show summary
- Scherz, Antoinette & Welge, Rebecca (2015). Union Citizenship Revisited: Multilateral Democracy as Normative Standard for European Citizenship. Journal of ethnic and migration studies. ISSN 1369-183X. 41(8), s 1254- 1275 . doi: 10.1080/1369183X.2014.969202 Show summary
- Scherz, Antoinette (2013). The Legitimacy of the Demos: Who Should Be Included in the Demos and on What Grounds?. Living Reviews in Democracy. ISSN 1663-0165. 4, s 1- 14 Show summary
- Scherz, Antoinette; Adams, N.P. & Schmelzle, Cord (2020). Legitimacy Beyond the State: Institutional Purposes and Contextual Constraints. Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy. ISSN 1369-8230. 23(3)
- Scherz, Antoinette (2019). Does Transnational Voting Increase National Sovereignty or Democracy?. Global Citizenship Observatory (GLOBALCIT) Blog.
- Scherz, Antoinette (2014). Multilateral Democracy as Democratic Federalism beyond the State: Institutional Design in a Multilevel System. NCCR Democracy Working Papers. 78