Cecilia Marcela Bailliet
Cecilia M. Bailliet is Professor Dr. jur., Director of the Masters Program in International Law, and Co-Director of the Research Group on Human Rights in Conflict, Peace and Security Law. She was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina. She has a combined J.D./M.A. (honours) degree from The George Washington University Law School & Elliott School of International Affairs (U.S.A). She received her Doctorate in law from the University of Oslo. Bailliet researches transnational and cross-disciplinary issues within international law including general public international law, human rights, refugee law, counter-terrorism, gender/women's rights, and peace. Bailliet's books include The Construction of the Customary Law of Peace: Latin America and the Inter-American Court of Human Rights (Edward Elgar 2021); The Research Handbook on International Law and Peace (Edward Elgar 2019), Promoting Peace Through International Law (OUP 2015), The Legitimacy of International Criminal Tribunals (CUP 2017), Non-State Actors, Soft Law, and Protective Regimes (CUP 2012), Cosmopolitan Justice and its Discontents (Routledge 2011), and Security: A Multidisciplinary Normative Approach (Brill 2009).
She has served as consultant to national and international organizations, and her research has been the basis for the creation of guidelines in various institutions. She created the courses "Refugee and Asylum Law" and "The Right to Peace" and is in charge of the Masters Level course on "Public International Law" at the Law Faculty. She helped draft the Faculty of Law's guidelines on non-discrimination and equality in research. She is also responsible for the Profile on International Law
Bailliet established a series of inter.views with international judges on the evolution of international law.
She is a Book Review editor at the Nordic Journal of International Law and was guest co-editor of the Special Edition in honour of Raoul Wallenberg and guest editor of the Special Edition on Children's Rights (in honour of Lucy Smith).
She is a member of the Academic Review Board of the Cambridge International Law Journal.
Bailliet is an editor at Intl Law Grrls Blog.
Bailliet is also a member of the Advisory Board of Aarhus University's School of Business and Social Sciences.
She was Deputy Director of the Department of Public & International Law from 2010-2013. She was a member of the Committee overseeing the Masters Program in Law (PMR) which reviews the quality of legal education from 2012-2020.
She was a Visiting Researcher at PRIO in 2017
She was a Visting Scholar at the University for Peace in Costa Rica between July 2018-July 2019.
She has given lectures in different countries, including Cambridge University, UCL, Kings War College, University of Caen, Normandy, University of Leuven, Stockholm University, ICOURTS in Denmark, and the Center of International Law in Belo Horizonte, Brazil.
Field of Research
- Public International Law
- Human Rights
- Refugee Law
- International Public Law
- Human Rights
- Human Rights in Context
- Counter-Terrorism & Human Rights
- The Right to Peace
- Refugee Law
- International Constitutional Law and Democracy
Organization of Conferences
- Organizer 2021 The Right to Solidarity Webinar
- Co-Organizer 2020 UiO Jur Fak.Seminar: En Verden av Muligheter
- Co-Organizer of the Roundtable on Comparative Human Rights Approaches to Conflict Prevention and Sustainable Peace 31 January 2020
- Co-Organizer of the Conference on Migration: Vulnerability, Protection, and Agency May 2018
- Co- Organizer of the Conference on Strengthening the Vailidity of International Criminal Tribunals August 2016
- Co-Organizer Conference on: Exploring the International Law Components of Peace April 2014
- Organizer of Conference on: The Legitimacy and Effectiveness of International Criminal Tribunals 30-31 August 2014
- Co-Organizer of the Nordic Expert Consultation on the Human Right to Peace, 29-30 January 2013
- Organizer of Conference on “The Creation of International Law: An Exploration of Normative Innovation, Contextual Application, and Interpretation in a Time of Flux” 6-7 August 2010
- Co-Organizer of Conference “Cosmopolitanism and its Discontents” October 2009
- Organizer of Conference on Security: A Multidisciplinary Normative Approach, October 2008, UiO
- Co-Organizer of Moral and Legal Responsibility in War seminar with the Department of Ethics 2006
- Co-Organizer of Trafficking of Women and Asylum Seminar, UiO IOR/UNHCR 2005
- Co-Organizer of Conference on Corporate Responsibility for Human Rights and Humanitarian Law with the Red Cross and the Center for Human Rights, 5-6 May 2003
- Organizer of Human-Rights Approach to Refugee Law seminar for UNE 2004