The legitimacy of international environmental governance has received increased attention. There are no specialized courts in international environmental law.
Feedback Mechanism between Investment Treaty Arbitration and International Investment Treaties – focus on environmental protection
The proliferation of investment claims has triggered treaty design responses. PhD fellow Laura Létourneau Tremblay investigates this interplay between investment treaty arbitration (ITA) and international investment agreements (IIAs) with a specific focus on environmental protection.
A Computational Approach to Studying Development, Environment and Human Rights in the International Investment Regime
PhD research project by Runar Lie.
Responses to the 'legitimacy crisis' of international investment law (LEGINVEST)
The project's primary objective is to determine the relative importance of investment treaty arbitration (ITA) for the design of international investment agreements (IIAs) and the relative importance of (re)design of IIAs for ITA. Secondary objectives of the project are to:
1) Establish a general applicability database mapping the content of IIAs,
2) Propose ways to enhance synergies between international investment law and policies to protect the environment, promote human rights, and facilitate sustainable development in poor countries, and
3) Contribute to the general debate concerning the legitimacy of international courts with a comprehensive case study and a new analytical framework for assessing the relationship between the activities of courts and treaty design.
The project started in September 2018 and ends in August 2022.
- New guest researcher: Laura Fischer Apr. 24, 2019 1:29 PM
- New members of the PluriCourts team Sep. 19, 2018 3:41 PM
- Professor Christina Voigt selected as co-author of "gap-assessment" report for UN Aug. 2, 2018 10:03 PM
- The multilateral response to climate change made another important step forward Jan. 2, 2019 11:52 AM
- Frontiers of International Environmental Law- Perspectives from the next generation of researchers Sep. 27, 2017 1:32 PM
- On the Paris Agreement’s imminent entry into force Oct. 7, 2016 9:08 AM