Academic Interest and Background
Dinie S.M. Arief is a PhD student at the Norwegian Centre for Human Rights (Faculty of Law, University of Oslo). Her primary research is on business and human rights with specific interests in sustainable development, corporate sustainability, corporate social responsibility, corporate criminal liability, human rights law, sustainability law, and corporate law, with a primary focus on Indonesia.
Her PhD project focuses on international and domestic business and human rights developments, particularly in the context of the Indonesian palm oil industry as a case study. The project seeks to delve into the regulatory opportunities for preventing and addressing human rights harm caused by business activities in the complex supply chain of the palm oil sector in Indonesia.
She is currently on study leave from her career as a foreign service officer at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Indonesia. She started her career as a foreign service officer in 2008. She has held several positions as the Assistant Deputy Director for Socio-Economic Rights (2009-2014), Second Secretary for Economic Affairs at the Indonesian Embassy in Ottawa, Canada (2015-2018), and Assistant Deputy Director for Bilateral Economic and Development Affairs of Indonesia and the United States of America (2018-2021).
She holds a Bachelor's Degree in International Law from Trisakti University in Indonesia and a Master's Degree in Multidisciplinary Human Rights Law from the University of Pretoria in South Africa.
Selected lectures and/or seminars in the following programmes:
- Arief, Dinie S.M. "The Existence of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization as a New Regional Force." In Kebangkitan Diplomasi Indonesia: Bunga Rampai Pemikiran Diplomat Muda Indonesia, by Sekdilu 33, edited by Muhammad Taufan, Mukti R. Setianto Ali Murtado, 108-113. Jakarta: Upakara Sentosa Sejahtera, 2008.
- Arief, Dinie S.M. et.al. eds, “Konvensi internasional perlindungan hak-hak seluruh pekerja migran dan anggota keluarganya”, Jakarta: Direktorat Hak Asasi Manusia dan Kemanusiaan, Kementerian Luar Negeri, 2013, 287 pages, ISBN: 9786021770603
- Arief, Dinie S.M. An Investigation on the Establishment of a Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) for the Republic of Indonesia, University of Pretoria, 2012
- Arief, Dinie S.M., A Legal Analysis of the United Nations Security Council Reform, Particularly In The Expansion of Permanent Members of the Security Council and Veto Rights, Trisakti University, Jakarta, 2005
- Arief, Dinie S.M, UNAOC Global Forum ke-16: Harmoni dalam Keberagaman, Jurnal Diplomasi Multilateral, Vol. III No.2, Jakarta, 2014