“CHANGING THE NARRATIVE” - exhibition on human rights defenders
The Norwegian Centre for Human Rights (NCHR) and the Human Rights Fund (NHRF) are organizing the exhibition "CHANGING THE NARRATIVE". It focuses on human rights defenders and their role as actors of change. The exhibition will be displayed on the 3rd floor of Domus Juridica, November 1-12, and is open for all.
Illustration photo: NHRF
Civil society and human rights organisations have an important role in the promotion of sustainable and peaceful societies. However, human rights defenders across the world who are fighting for their rights are facing risks and threats for their work. In many countries, human rights defenders are criminalized, and authorities are restricting the public space and activities for civil society organisations.
With "CHANGING THE NARRATIVE", the NCHR and the NHRF want to change the narrative around human rights defenders, highlight their role as actors of change, and raise their voices.
The small exhibition will display seven posters of human rights defenders, with quotes on how they view their human rights work. It is based on the "I Defend Rights" project (idefendrights.org), where human rights defenders share their stories. The initiative aims to create positive narratives around human rights defenders, and to provide a vehicle for them to raise their voices and be heard around the world.
Monday, November 1, 12:15-13:15
- Welcoming remarks by Ragnhild Hennum, Dean at the Faculty of Law, UiO
- Remarks from Peris Sean Jones, Professor and Director of the MA programme Human Rights in Theory and Practice at the Norwegian Centre for Human Rights
- Remarks from Ingeborg Moa, Executive Director of the NHRF
- Remarks from Bernard Ntahiraja, University of South Eastern Norway
- Coffee and snacks will be provided
November 4, 12:15-13:15
- Roundtable discussion on the Protection of Human Rights Defenders in Afghanistan. Auditorium 2, Domus Juridica. More information to follow shortly.