M Sanjeeb Hossain
At Oslo as part of the Horizon 2020-project ASILE, I focus on the Rohingya refugee situation through the prism of rights, recognition and self-reliance. Over the past decade, my research and writing revolved around themes within the realm of international criminal law, legal history and politics with specific regards to Bangladesh. In the recent past, I have written about the new EU Pact and the Rohingya refugee situation, genocide and crimes against humanity committed during Bangladesh’s Liberation War with particular reference to the principle of legality, and foreign nationals at the risk of capital punishment in Malaysia.
I studied law, criminology and criminal justice at BRAC (LLB, 2009), Oxford (MSc, 2011) and Warwick University (PhD, 2018).
After a year-long appointment at the International Crimes Tribunals of Bangladesh as Researcher to the Chief Prosecutor, I joined the Warwick Law School as a Commonwealth Scholar to pursue doctoral studies. As part of my doctoral studies (2013 - 2017), I assessed the legality and legitimacy of the International Crimes Tribunals of Bangladesh through the prism of the principle of complementarity. Before joining Oslo University, I taught Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and International Humanitarian Law and Armed Conflict at the Warwick Law School, first as a Sessional Tutor and then Teaching Fellow.
- Dr Nüsret Arsel Scholarship 2017
- Commonwealth Scholarship 2013
- Vice-Chancellor’s Gold Medal 2010
- ‘Best Advocate’ 5th Henry Dunant Memorial Regional Moot Court Championship 2009
- ‘National Champions’ 5th Henry Dunant Memorial National Moot Court Championship 2009
- Post Doctoral Fellow, Oslo University (October 2020 - )
- Teaching Fellow, University of Warwick (2019 – 2020)
- Sessional Tutor, University of Warwick (2017 - 2019)
- Research Assistant (part-time), University of Oxford (2018 – 2019)
- Research Assistant (part-time), University of Warwick (2016 - 2020)
- Researcher to the Chief Prosecutor, International Crimes Tribunals of Bangladesh (2011 – 2012)
- Researcher and Translator, Human Rights Watch (part-time) (August 2008 – January 2011)
- Research Assistant, Ergo Legal Counsel (June – August 2010)
- Research Assistant (part-time), Bangladesh Institute of Law and International Affairs (BILIA) (June - September 2010)
- Assistant Documentation Officer, Odhikar (September 2007 – April 2010)