Özlem Gürakar Skribeland’s PhD is part of “Transnationalism from above and below: Migration management and how migrants manage” (MIGMA), a 2015-2019 research project funded by the Research Council of Norway. As part of the sub-project “The Legality of Return”, Özlem will explore the legal obligations of host states vis-à-vis people they are seeking to return. This exploration will involve understanding and mapping out how large bodies of national laws, international and human rights laws, and EU and Schengen rules interact in the context of transnational migration and return.
Özlem grew up in Istanbul, Turkey. She obtained her Bachelor of Laws degree (LL.B.) from Galatasaray University, Turkey, and did her Master of Laws (LL.M.) as a Fulbright Scholar at Harvard Law School, USA. Özlem is qualified as a lawyer in Turkey, England and the USA, and has practiced law at international law firms in Istanbul and London. She is the author of the report "Seeking Asylum in Turkey: A Critical Review of Turkey's Asylum Laws and Practices", published by the Norwegian Organisation for Asylum Seekers (NOAS) in April 2016. Özlem joined the Department of Criminology and Sociology of Law as a doctoral research fellow in August 2016.
- Janmyr, Maja & Gürakar-Skribeland, Zehra Özlem (2020). Human Rights References in Norway’s Readmission Agreements: (How) Do They Protect?. Nordic Journal of Human Rights. ISSN 1891-8131. 38(1), s 18- 39 . doi: 10.1080/18918131.2020.1776955 Full text in Research Archive.
- Janmyr, Maja & Gürakar-Skribeland, Zehra Özlem (2020). Tenk nytt om returavtalene. Klassekampen. ISSN 0805-3839.
- Gürakar-Skribeland, Zehra Özlem (2019). Migration, Return and Human Rights: The Curious Case of Turkey.
- Gürakar-Skribeland, Zehra Özlem (2019). Seeking Asylum in Turkey: 2018 Update.
- Gürakar-Skribeland, Zehra Özlem (2019). The Return Directive: Migration, Asylum and Illegality.
- Gürakar-Skribeland, Zehra Özlem (2018). Discussion on the Model International Mobility Convention.
- Gürakar-Skribeland, Zehra Özlem (2018). Seeking Asylum in Turkey: New Findings from 2018 Report.
- Fransson, Line & Gürakar-Skribeland, Zehra Özlem (2017, 20. mars). Syrere i Tyrkia skjelles ut. Dagbladet.
- Gürakar-Skribeland, Zehra Özlem (2017). Application of the Return Directive in light of the proposed amendments to the Common European Asylum System.
- Gürakar-Skribeland, Zehra Özlem (2017). Asylum Seekers and Refugees in Turkey.
- Gürakar-Skribeland, Zehra Özlem (2017). The situation for refugees in Turkey one year after the EU-Turkey deal.
- Villman, Emma Åsa Irene & Gürakar-Skribeland, Zehra Özlem (2017, 19. september). Syriske flyktninger fanget i limbo. [Internett]. UiO.