The Visiting Scholar Programme
The NCHR has its own particular Visiting Scholar Programme. Application deadlines come twice yearly, on April 1st and October 1st.
The Programme is open for scholars and/or persons affiliated with a human rights research project.
The duration of each particular visit is subject to discussion, within the minimum of one month to a maximum of one year. Shorter visits on a more informal basis are possible, and longer stays in exceptional circumstances.
The Application deadlines must be observed: April 1st for visits that start between July 1st and December 31st in the same year, and October 1st for visits that start between January 1st and June 30th the consecutive year. Exceptions are possible though – cf. the application form.
The NCHR is internationally recognized as a major human rights research environment, including lawyers, political scientists, social anthropologists, social geographers and philosophers. Additionally, the NCHR hosts an International Department, which also involve scholarly activities.
As a general rule, all visiting scholars are self-funded and are themselves responsible for all matters concerning their own travel and accommodation. When circumstances allow, we may be able to offer some assistance through applying for, and/or supporting an application for University of Oslo accommodation for visiting scholars,
As a visiting scholar through the NCHR programme one is offered:
- A designated personal contact within the NCHR staff of scholars
- Access to the NCHR and Faculty databases and activities (and an expectation to participate, both socially and through research sharing and dissemination)
- Access to one of the four Thematic Working Groups (see above)
- A venue to disseminate your own research (and an expectation to do so)
- Access to a work space (the nature of the work space varies and is subject to availability)
- Access to the internationally acknowledged NCHR Human Rights Library
- Exemption of any bench fee
The actual number of visitors at any given time is subject to availability of work space and academic/administrative resources.
The application form should be completed and submitted together with attachment to
while observing the deadlines mentioned above.