Beate Sjåfjell completed her law degree in 1999, and has previously worked as the head of the Norwegian Consumer Council, division Telemark. Beate wrote her doctoral thesis in European company law during her research fellowship at the Centre for European Law. The thesis has been published, in an expanded and revised form, under the title Towards a Sustainable European Company Law. A Normative Analysis of the Objectives of EU Law, with the Takeover Directive as a Test Case, Kluwer Law International, 2009. The first chapter is freely downloadable at http://ssrn.com/abstract=1356542. Beate worked as a postdoctoral researcher at the Department of Private Law from August 2008, with a research project concerning the involvement of employees in the decision-making processes of companies, and was employed as an Associate Professor from January 2010. From June 2011 she is Professor at our department, with company law as her main area.
Research interest: The regulation of Norwegian and transnational companies; Norwegian and European company and securities law, EU/EEA law, labour law, environmental law and law and economics.
Beate is the project leader for the research project Sustainable Companies. The general objective of the project is to examine how to integrate the goal of sustainable development and especially its environmental dimension as a decisive factor in the minds of decision-makers in companies. The project will run from January 2010 and has financing from The Norwegian Research Council from August 2010 to the end of 2013, as part of the research programme Environment2015 (Miljø2015).
- Head of the Research Group Companies, Markets, Society and the Environment
- Coordinator for company law research at the Department of Private Law
- Editor of the University of Oslo Faculty of Law Legal Studies Research Paper Series on SSRN (contact: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Editor of the International and Comparative Corporate Law Journal (contact: email@example.com)
- Contact person, member of the steering group and the group for PhD activities of the Nordic network in company law
- Contact person for The European law network at the Faculty of law in Oslo
- Member of the European Corporate Governance Institute
- Member of the European Centre of Comparative Commercial and Company Law
- Member of the CSR Legal Research Network
- Chair of the board of Concerned Scientists Norway
- First alternate member of the board of the Financial Supervisory Authority of Norway
Beate Sjåfjell's articles in English are freely downloadable.