Norwegian version of this page

Study and research abroad - PhD

All doctoral research fellows are encouraged to spend time abroad for short or extended periods.

Many academic environments have close ties with national and international institutions, organizations and persons. You should look into whether you can take advantage of them in order to build your own academic network.

An international track record may be critical to later opportunities for employment in an academic position and for external project funding.

What procedure do I follow if I want to travel abroad?

Overseas stays can be of short or extended duration. Talk to the PhD Coordinator or the Overseas Consultant at the faculty's Administration Section if you plan to travel. Research stays must be cleared with your department and supervisor.

Details of stays that last longer than 2 weeks must be sent to the faculty's Administration Section. Send the date of the stay, the name of the host institution, the purpose of the travel, and information about funding.

Funding for overseas research travel

The faculty does not have its own pool of funds from which you can apply for funding. However, national and international sources of funding are available:

Exchange agreements

Exchange agreements with other universities are organized for extended stays. The agreements normally cover research trips and courses, and often provide practical and financial benefits compared with ordinary guest researcher stays.

See a list of exchange agreements for PhD candidates (in Norwegian)

Travel through Erasmus+

All PhD candidates can undertake a student exchange through Erasmus (in Norwegian) and receive a grant in the same way as other students. The minimum duration of such stays is 3 months, and the faculty or department you are affiliated with must have an exchange agreement for PhD candidates with the overseas educational institution.

See a list of Erasmus agreements for PhD candidates (in Norwegian)

If you are employed as a doctoral research fellow at the University of Oslo, you can also apply for Erasmus funding to teach (in Norwegian) at another university or for training or participation in courses (in Norwegian).

The application procedures for PhD exchanges may be different than for students at a lower level. You should therefore contact the Overseas Consultant at an early stage if you are considering taking advantage of an exchange agreement.

Joint supervision agreements

A joint supervision agreement, also known as a cotutelle, normally entails admission to the PhD programme and supervision at two institutions. The affiliation with the institutions will generally be stipulated in the thesis and diploma when the degree is awarded.

Published Apr. 22, 2015 8:22 AM - Last modified Mar. 7, 2017 3:59 PM